Wednesday, March 16, 2011

this dream...

last night i had the worst school dream i think i've ever had.  i was myself but i was also a kid and i was not my kids' mom anymore but their sister.  and we had decided to go to school.  we had never been to school before and we were nervous.  but in my mind somewhere i knew that i had been to school before but i knew i wasn't really me anymore.  i was sitting at a table with pam horton and mary montgomery and all the other people around me were people from high school, but i couldn't tell you who exactly now.  there was a test being passed out and we had to share the question sheet.  i kept reading it and trying to understand what it was asking but i couldn't and i asked mary and pam and they said they couldn't talk.  i tried answering it on my paper and couldn't write.  i started panicking.  i kept trying to understand the question and talking it out but then the teacher came and we all got in trouble.  mary and pam were so mad at me.  everyone was mad at me and they were all looking at me and talking about me and how stupid i was.  i started to cry but held it back.  and then my chest started hurting.  i left the classroom.  i started leaving and as i was leaving i found samuel and he was leaving too. and then sadie was leaving.  we passed silas and he was playing with some kids and wasn't upset at all, but he left with us anyway.  my chest kept hurting and i finally started crying and it kept hurting until i fell on the ground and couldn't breathe and it just hurt so bad.  i was able to eventually get up and we kept walking home.  we came to a river with a bridge over it.  the bus was coming and it wasn't going to stop for us and kids were pointing at us from the bus.  so we went to the river and looked down.  and then we all jumped in.  i remember being worried about sadie, but then we were okay and we swam across and it took forever to get to the other side.  and then we went home and i was hurting so bad that i could feel i was starting to wake up from it.  when we got home, MY mom was our mom and that startled me so much that i woke up.  and my chest still hurt.  and i still feel like i can't take a really good deep breath.

i woke to find a wonderful text from my friend jana.  just a beautiful affirmation kind of out of the blue text.  it helped me to wake up from the freakiness of that dream and i wrote back to simply say thanks but found myself in a halfsleep telling her about what i've been feeling:  "i have been in a very isolated space lately and most everything i do right now is obligation.  i am trying to heal something deep and learning to take the time to do it is hard.  i am blessed with amazing women like you in my life who accept me for just me.  trying not to feel like i have to be more than that is hard. thank you for reminding me of what IS."  the thing is, nothing about my life right now is hard, but there are things that i try to work through while also navigating this amazing, very full and happy life and that can be daunting.

i can't help but feel that this dream was telling me that i am on the right path...no matter how hard it is.  i am trying to walk away from ways that no longer serve me.  a few years ago i got sort of shell shocked by someone and it caused me to build a callous, to lose my carefreeness and to be more cynical than i have ever been in my life.  so i started reading about taoism again, this has helped me start to unearth my authentic pooh-like self.  i know that i have let go of a lot of that old hurt, but in many ways i still carry it around and it is terribly heavy.  a weight in my chest.  it skewed my vision of everyone around me and i lost a lot of the progress i had made towards embracing friendship after so many years of pushing it away.

wow, i can take a deep breath now.  that feels really good.Share

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The part where you jump in the river made my heart pound. I was thinking "Yes!! Go with that awesome moving flow!" Crossing the river. What a metaphor. What a dream. {{hugs}}

Ren Allen said...

I was loving the image of crossing the river too....of the cleansing aspect of water and the idea of going to the other side and leaving things behind. :) I signed papers today. Heaving a big breathe here too. Love you lots my friend. You are PERFECT! Perfectly, beautifully La, as only you can be.

Tina said...

I agree with Ren, you are perfect. You are my beautiful sister. I really envy your full and happy life. With everything Im going through right now, it makes me feel like maybe one day my life will be happy too. I miss you so much, I sit here thinking of you and all I can do is cry. You are the only person in my life (besides my children of corse) that I have any happy memories or dreams about. I dream about us walking down the middle of the street and how "cool" we were drinking our pickle juice or walking to the store down the road and getting juck food and spending the day together playing at the school playground just being sisters/friends. I miss my sister. I miss ME when I am with my sister. Mayby one day I will be able to just breath.

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

simply dropping by to say hey